Saturday 27 January 2007

Curb My Enthusiasm

Curb Your EnthusiasmI just can't curb my enthusiasm for the HBO tv show Curb Your Enthusisam. This show isn't new, it debuted in 2000. Since then Larry David has written 50 episodes over 5 seasons. I haven't seen all of the seasons yet, but over the long Australia Day weekend we rented the season 3 DVD (10 episodes).

For those of you who don't know, Curb Your Enthusiasm is written by Larry David who also co-created, wrote and executive produced Seinfeld. I must admit that when I first discovered this new show, I was a bit skeptical and didn't really think that Seinfeld could be topped, but after seeing just one episode by accident late one night, I was hooked.

I think Larry David is one of the best comic writers working today and he has cemented his place in comedy history with his great writing in these two groundbreaking shows.

I think what's really interesting about Curb Your Enthusiasm is that David wrote a detailed story and plan for each episode, but the comedy in each scene in every episode is totally improvised. This makes for some hilarious, unexpected, spontaneous, sometimes disturbing and agonising comedy moments.

If you haven't seen any of the shows yet, do yourself a favour and seek the series out. The show isn't for everyone, but it certainly is for me. It's one of the best show I've seen on tv, and I don't think it's an accident that it's funded by HBO. Two of my other favourite tv shows with great writing , The Sopranos, and Six Feet Under, came out of HBO. Love the opening titles to Six Feet Under by the way.

No comments: