Saturday 10 February 2007

Centre Pompidou Video Art

Today I went to see the Centre Pompidou Video Art 1965-2005 exhibition at the MCA. It's well worth a look before if finishes on 25 Feb.

Video art is already over 40 years old, and this show takes you through a sample of some of the best from the great collection of the Centre Pompidou in Paris. I remember seeing a few of the works when I visited Paris way back in the early '90s. The show blew me away back then. I was at art school in New Zealand at the time, and when I got back it inspired me to start making my own video installation work, which eventually lead to me working in interactive media.

I can't help but think that the YouTube (especially videos like this) phenomenon has helped to make video art just a little more acceptable and understandable to the general public. There were certainly a lot of people there today anyway.

If you live in Barcelona, Taipei or Miami (or of course Paris) you might already have seen this work, but If you live in Sydney, definitely go and see it before it closes!

The show features work from artists such as Isaac Julien, Stan Douglas, Douglas Gordan, Jean Luc Goddard, Samuel Beckett, Bill Viola, Bruce Nauman, Pierre Huyghe and Tony Oursler.

No comments: